Child Find

IDEA requires all states to have a "comprehensive Child Find system" to assure that all children, birth to 21, who are in need of early intervention or special education services are located, identified, and referred.

Do you have a question about your child’s development? Contact the Union Gap School District Special Services if:
  • You have questions whether your child has a disability.
  • You are concerned about your infant, toddler, or preschooler's development.
  • You know your child has a disability and are looking for appropriate educational services.
  • You would like to know how to help your school age child succeed in school.
Evaluations for infants and toddlers:

The Union Gap School District, in contract with Children’s Village of Yakima, offers free of cost evaluations for infants and toddlers, birth through three. This evaluation will help you to determine if your child is following a typical pattern of development. If appropriate, Children’s Village will provide early intervention help for your child. For questions or assistance, call Children’s Village at 509.574.3200.

Three to five year olds: 

Developmental evaluations are provided by Union Gap School District for children, between the ages of three and five, to identify possible delays in language, motor, cognitive or social-emotional development. If you have questions or concerns about your preschooler's development, or to refer a child for evaluation, contact Barbara Groth, Special Education Director: 509.248.3966.

School Age Children: 

The Union Gap School District identifies children five through 21 who may have a suspected disability. A parent, staff member, community member, or private school staff member may refer a student by contacting the school psychologist or Special Services department at 509.248.3966.